Tuesday, January 13, 2009

To Walk or Not to Walk...

On Saturday I went to a fashion show that was held here in the DMV (DC, Maryland, Virginia) area...fashion is not prominent here so you will probably never see a high fashion or actual runway show in within the immediate area. So I attended this show as I was requested to by my friend and it was nice but me being the jerk that I am I will nitpick in certain areas. My first issue was that they had a commentator through out the whole show...I thought that he was only going to speak in the beginning or during the scene changes but he talked the WHOLE time...and I probably would not have even had a problem with him had he not been speaking in Ebonics. Then I thought for a slight moment that he was only going to say who they were wearing...but no he was hyping the models for their walk it was so ghetto. There were also male models there that walked like females (switching and all) and there were a couple that were actually considered females but it was obvious that they were males which is not so bad but its not really appropriate for runway.

On Sunday I was at another show that was held in a bridal boutique in Georgetown, this show was okay but it definitely could have been better...the garments did not fit some of the models and there was not enough models which resulted in a faulty line up. During the run through it was not made clear what garments would be worn in the finale or whether there would even be a finale so that resulted in major confusion. I was the only dresser and there was two models who had never walked before so they needed me every second that they were undressing which kept me from assisting the models that had to go back out. It was pure chaos but I made sure to let the owner know that we need more models for the next show, I was told that the problem was that everyone had prior engagements which means that they should be informed well ahead so that we will not come out at the short end of the stick. For example there is a show in March that we are supposed to show at as well, so why not let the models know the dates and other information now so that they can make plans and arrangements. It's not rocket science...simply common sense.

I think that people should understand that not every pretty and skinny female can not be a model, not even skinny cause at the show on Saturday the girls were slim but bottom heavy so lets say slender. Just because you want to do a certain thing or aspire to have a profession does not mean it is the right thing for you...this is why some people spend their whole lives being unhappy. Being a model is not all glamorous like it is cracked up to be...it is not easy and it can be very draining, people should think twice about pursuing this profession or pushing their children toward this profession.

3 comments:

Lola S Kane said...

Right, it does seem like being a fashion designer is the new DREAM JOB and people think that it is easy work.

naturalallure said...

girl, finding a fashion show that's actually worth the time is not easy as I've learned. I went to one "real" fashion last summer in NYC and after that I really thought all big fashion shows would be like that. Yea... no. SMH and I'm not even someone who really knows what a fashion show should even look like, but I can tell you what it shouldn't look like. So I know exactly what you mean... everything isn't for everyone and everyone isn't for some things. Cuz we allllll know everyone's a model today.

jacqueline said...

Happy New Year!Why not become a fashion show adviser!You know behind the scenes of a fashion show and the runway activity! Go for it,Lady Z!